Saturday, October 1, 2011

Too Much Power!

Been a while since the last post, but I figured this was worth a post on its own.  I got out for what was supposed to be a 30 mile ride around Holy Hill.  About 15 minutes in I was climbing a short hill and started to hear a clanking from the rear of my bike.  I thought it was just some slack in the chain making noise, so I kept on climbing.  The noise got worse and I was feeling some tension in the rear wheel so I decided to investigate.  It was pretty obvious that I blew a spoke, but less obvious was what happened since the spoke remained in tact.  A little more investigation showed that one of the flanges on the hub cracked and pulled away allowing the spoke to escape!
 So unfortunately the wheel was not ride-able and I had to walk/wait for a ride to get back home.  Now I am just hoping that this is covered under warranty!  Next up will be some TLC and cleaning of my mountain bike after last weekend's race (also known as pushing the bike through mud all day) and getting ready for the last race of WORS in Sheboygan!

-Andy

No comments: