Thursday, June 19, 2008

Free Time, Updates

Today has been great so far. No work, great weather, and free time! So what better than to get some updates put up on the Blog. I will hopefully get a race report from last weekend up later today and maybe a little pre-race report for this coming weekend.
Lately, I have been getting a bunch of questions about how I am doing, where I have been [for the last few races], and what has been going on. Last weekend was my first race back in action after missing races #2 and 3 of the WORS series. With races complete, I can say that I am feeling great; given that I had a few weeks off of the bike and not getting ANY time on the mountain bike.
Before the winter and over the last few months of training I had noticed my heart rate getting a little high, and my body getting pretty weak at times. After talking to a few people and noting my symptoms at Iola, I decided to go in to see the doctor. After my first appointment, I had some blood work done. One of the tests came back showing I might have mono, thus canceling my next race and training altogether. Luckily, I found I did not have mono and that I needed to get some rest. A few weeks later, I went in for a couple more tests to check my heart and lung function. These both came back showing everything is working properly. After the tests, I spoke with my doctor to talk about what is going on and if I need to do anything. Without going into details, the next step is to refocus my training routine and start meeting with a nutritionist and personal trainer to set some long-term goals for training and racing.
With all the doctor stuff out of the way, I have been getting in rides as close to everyday as possible. When I am unable to ride I have been getting into the gym to lift weights or going rock climbing (one of my hobbies from years ago). I was able to get out to enjoy the beautiful weather today and put in a little over 40 miles on the road. Hopefully tomorrow, I will be able to get another short ride in before work. Then, Saturday morning I leave for Green Bay and another weekend of racing!

No comments: