Monday, July 28, 2008

Race Report: Alterra Coffee Bean Classic (WORS #7)

Believe it or not, this is a timely race report! This weekend was full of great racing, good weather, and lots of fun here in Milwaukee.
Saturday began early for me with a 7 AM meeting at work, which lasted until 9:30 or so. On the drive back, I noticed Downer Ave was closed off and there were numerous bikers around. I thought there must be something going on, but decided to head back to the apartment without finding out. My day shifted gears from work to pre-riding the course in Franklin. I met up with Mike from the team and we shot around for a couple laps on the course. I had a mixed first impression of the new course layout, but I warmed to it. I saw a couple problem areas, but nothing major. The reversal of a few sections, primarily the switchback climb, were the biggest things of note. After the pre-ride, Mike mentioned going to superweek in Milwaukee. I was surprised to find the race was going on all day Saturday, but I was able to make it back for the Masters, Cat 3, and Pro races. The Pro Race was pretty cool, especially with a $7000 (Yes, that is 7-0-0-0 US Dollars) Preem! Rock Racing was in full force taking both the win and the $7000 preem.
Sunday came quickly as did anticipation for the race. I was feeling pretty good about the course and very happy that I pre-rode it! At the start my foot slid off the pedal which put me about halfway back in the pack, not where I wanted to be. I did my best to move up in the leadout and saw Edens up in the distance. Once we got to the switchback climb, I caught Edens and stayed with him until the climb starting the 3rd lap. The third lap went by quickly and I felt more powerful than I have in a while. I nailed the final single track section and came out trying to get ready to make the long gravel climb once more. As I emerged from the single track, I realized that the finish stretch was up a grassy climb instead of on the gravel road, a blessing for me! I Stood up and hammered it home for a strong finish. After the race, I set out immediately for a little cool down on the roads which seemed to help a lot.
My final results were some of the best I have had so far! I took fourth in my age group, about 4 minutes behind first place; and 38th overall, about 6 minutes back from first overall!

The only thing that could have made the weekend better was a bigger turnout from the team. The six of us who were there can say the course and weather were awesome! I Hope to see everyone out at Kewaskum in two weeks!

No comments: