Tuesday, October 21, 2008

WORS 2008 and Shvegas

WORS 2008 is coming to an official close. Just over a week ago was WORS #12 at Sheboygan and this weekend marks the official end of the season with the WORS Banquet.

Shvegas was great. I had 4th place pretty much locked in so I just needed a solid finish. Out of the start, I was feeling good. I sat back a little and watched the boys battle over their preem money and kicked it into gear in the single track. It looked like Wenzlick and one of the shop guys from Stadium were on my wheel for a while in the leadout, but in the single track I flew away. One of the Sheboygan locals was right up with me and stayed there for almost the entire race. I was with a pack of five or so guys coming into the Equilizer, and knew there would be no succesful climbs today. I hoped off and Cyclo-crossed it all the way up and back onto the bike. We hit the slock rock and then we were out for lap 2. The 4-5 guys I was with were holding their own on the double track, but they were pretty slow in the single track, so once we hit the preem parking lot, I made my move, and shot past all of them into the single track where my goal was then to solo it and bridge the gap to the leaders. I was really flying, but I was using a lot of juice. about halfway in the Sheboygan and the Stadium guys caught up with me. We were working together until two 30-34 guys flew by. I missed the move and watched as the Stadium guy pulled away on their wheels. I worked hard, but just couldn't get up there. The rest of my second lap and my third lap was spent trying to get up front. Every here and there I could see some of the leaders, but I did'nt know quite how far off they were. I was pretty tired and knew I spent a lot of energy on my own durring lap 2. Eventually I recovered, and used what energy I had left to make a strong finish. I hit the line and felt exausted, but after a couple minutes of cool-down riding I felt great. My finish was great. I took 4th (again) in 19-24 and 23rd overall in Sport. I was technically the second fastest Stadium Rider (but the shop guy really doesn't count for me) and 7 minutes back from taking a win.

Next race is the IceMan up in Traverse City! Time to do some training and see where I end up. See everyone out at the Banquet this weekend.

No comments: