Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Joys of Moving

I found it ironic that after my last post, the race in Franklin was rained out.  I can not imagine how much water the trails were covered in.  The good thing is that I was able to use that weekend to get a much needed head start on moving from my old place in Milwaukee to my new apartment not far away from Crystal Ridge in Franklin.  I am getting closer to having all of my stuff moved and unpacked with a little work to do in the kitchen and then moving my new couches from Green Bay down here to the new place.
The hardest thing has been finding time to get out for rides while moving and still working full-time.  The last three weekends have been spent unpacking, cleaning, and arranging everything in the apartment with almost no time spent riding.  Complicating matters is trying to find places to ride on the road especially due to the trail conditions at Crystal Ridge (wet).  Thankfully, I am getting into a rhythm now and have found a good route in the Menominee Falls area where there are lots of big hills (think Scray's Hill or bigger for those of you in the Green Bay area).  Maybe this change of pace will be just what my training needed for some much needed mid-season conditioning. 
This weekend will be the Reforestation Ramble back in the Green Bay area.  It sounds like Shawn is doing a great job again this year and will have a great course to ride on.  Not sure what my plans are for the race yet this weekend. Unfortunately, my rear wheel on the mountain bike is getting a lot of flats.  I sent it in to the shop to have it looked at - it looks like some sharp metal burrs, fused on the inside of the rim, were puncturing the tube even through two layers of a thick plastic rim strip!  If things are not all fixed, I will probably volunteer for the entire day and skip the race.
Should be an interesting week to see how everything will unfold.  More to come soon!


-Andy

No comments: