Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Don't trust the weather man.

It has been a pretty busy month so far which always makes riding tough.  But I think I can say a second major reason has been working in rides when the weather is nice outside.  The forecast says sunny all day and into the night - what happens?  Rain.  The radar looks like rain and we get sunny and 75.  This month seems to have been especially bad in regards to forecast accuracy where the weather has literally been the exact opposite of the forecast.  So what does one do when cross-checking the weather between 3 sources is not working?  Plan rides opposite to what the weather says. 
This weekend offered a great opportunity to ride at Franklin, what better than to follow it up with a long road ride on Monday after work.  Check the forecast and everything looks great, especially given the rain and thunderstorms forecast for Tuesday.  While at work the weather was pretty nice all up until about 4:00 when clouds started moving in.  The forecast still says no rain for the night and the radar is inconclusive.  When I got home just after 5 I look at the sky and it says something very different from the forecast.  I look one last time at the computer and the radar shows green all around Milwaukee.  Decision time - ride with a chance of getting wet or take it safe and ride later.  Looking at the forecast for Tuesday, I saw rain predicted all day.  For some reason I decided to hold off on the ride and wait for Today. 
While the forecast said rain all day, and the radar seemed to agree, there was hardly a cloud in the sky.  Strangely, the forecast was finally changed to reflect the current conditions - Sunny and Gorgeous!  By 4:30 a few clouds rolled in making me worry about postponing the ride to today, but I stuck with my original plan to ride tonight.  I hit the road at about 5:30 and was greeted with some clouds in the sky, but by 6:00, the sky cleared up and the sun came out for some great riding weather!  After being graced with beautiful weather and a good 40 miles tonight, I am feeling refreshed to finally get a good ride.  I have also come to one conclusion - don't trust the weather man (in fact, sometimes you should do the opposite of what they say!)

Now to get some rest tonight and prepare for a fun race weekend in Franklin!

-Andy

No comments: