Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Beginning


Cycling has grown to be a passion of mine over the last 7 or so years. It all started when I was young, and looking for things to do. The obvious thing was to take my bike out for a spin. Unlike most kids who hardly rode, I was on my bike as much as I could be. Pavement was OK to ride on, but I found much more enjoyment riding in places "I wasn't supposed to be." I found my first real call to mountain biking while working on the high adventure staff at Bear Paw Scout Camp in Mountain, Wisconsin. There I found some "real" mountain biking trails. So I loved to ride my bike, but what else is there to do? I found the answer I needed at the local bike shop, when I saw their bike team pictures. But for the next two years, I would be too late to sign up for the team. My break came in an unlikely way. I met this guy named Shawn in high school filming football games. As I got to know Shawn, I found that he was active with a team based out of another shop. I told him I was interested and then I have a team. In 2004, I raced in the Phillips Dirtfighter Classic (Part of the WORS Series) for Team 2 Racing, taking 4th place right away. That flipped the switch to high gear and I was hooked. Four years later I am racing for Stadium Bike, and have recently adopted road riding. The bike culture has grown on me enough that I have 4 bikes now (Mountain Bike, Road Bike, Hybrid, Fixed Gear). If I can keep this blog up-to-date, I hope to give people a glimpse into the training, riding, and racing I do.

No comments: