Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sad, but true.

It has been a while since my last post, and unfortunately with reason. I have missed WORS #2 and soon, WORS #3 will be missed also. I went to see the doctor a few weeks ago about some minor things and had some blood work done. My doctor wanted me to continue training as usual, but with a little more specialization as to the type and duration of my workouts. Of course the next day I go out for a good length ride doing some 5-4-3-2-1 intervals. To say the least I was kicking my own butt, big time.
While I was eating a recovery meal I got a phone call from the doctor's office. The nurse told me that a mono-spot test came back slight positive and that I may have mono. (Great.) She also told me to get some rest and to come in a week later to follow up and in the meantime to take it easy. I asked about riding, and she said I could ride, but with low intensity. After I hung up the phone I thought to myself. Well, that workout was probably a bad idea. Especially if I do in fact have mono. I was making final arrangements to head out to WORS #2 in Lake Geneva, but with that phone call I had to cancel my plans to race.
I went in to the doctor the following Thursday to get some concrete information. As usual there was good news and bad news. The good news: I don't have mono. The Bad news: I am supposed to very slowly increase me efforts and should not race for a week or two yet, especially until I have my other testing done. With that news I saw WORS #3 leave my summer calendar just like #2.
So far things are going alright, it is amazing at how quickly I can fall out of a good training schedule with rides every day or so. I must say that getting rest has made me feel stronger throughout the day and I also feel a lot less tired. So the doctor must know something. Tomorrow, I go in for a couple of tests for heart and lung function and have a follow up scheduled with the doctor on Friday. I am hoping that things work out and that I will have some more information come Friday, so I can get back to training and racing.
In the meantime, I have been doing some other activities such as rock climbing and I have been thinking about doing some weight lifting too. Otherwise work has been controlling the rest of my "free-time."
Good Luck to all the Stadium guys at Wausau! I am hoping to see some big numbers at the race.

No comments: